Set-Up: So often a teacher starts the academic year by stating his/her goals for the class. Rarely, however, is a student asked to identify goals of his/her own (esp. since you a student ‘has to’ take the class. Let’s change the traditional game a bit so that I can keep an eye on ways to design this class to serve you as an individual (both in and out of school).
Challenge: Please identify (5) goals (or hopes) you have for ENG 10 that start with the following:
- “As a writer over the next 10 months, I want to be able to…”
- “As a thinker (in class conversations & in private) over the next 10 months, I want to be able to…”
- “As a student-in-general over the next 10 months, I want to be able to…”
- “As a human being over the next 10 months, I want to be able to…”
- Bonus: something completely unexpected you want me to know about that may be of value to your presence in this class over time and my ability to help you succeed/learn.
Length: 1 sentence (min) for each goal, but I’m far more interested in the ‘quality’ of your explanation than counting sentences.
Hint: The more specific you are, the more I can customize things over time.