Who: ONLY periods 4 & 7.
Set-Up: Now that we have finished the novel, you will start the Lord of the Flies project. Given the wide range of ways that each of you can creatively ’solve’ this assignment, I’m curious how you are applying your knowledge and imagination.
Options: You will pick one of the following ideas:
- Idea: Write an ‘new’ (‘alternative’) ending to the story starting on page 200 at the following line: “Then he was done, rolling over and over in the warm sand, crouching with arm to ward off, trying to cry for mercy.” Details: 3+ pages (double-spaced) that starts at that point. 8+ quotes from the story must be used.
- Idea: Interview one of the boys 20-40 years later to discover what impact the experiences on the island had on them once they were rescued, returned to society, and eventually became an adult. Details: 3+ pages (double-spaced). Pick any character other than Piggy or Simon (for obvious reasons). 8+ quotes from the story must be used.
- Idea: Create a ‘missing’ journal/diary written by an ‘unnamed’ boy on the island. Details: 3+ pages (double-spaced). There should be multiple entries covering multiple days. 8+ quotes from the story must be used.
Challenge: Answer the following:
- What project do you think you will do?
- How will you uniquely combine your own knowledge & creativity (including enough of a summary to help us ‘get it’)?
- How will your project will ‘teach’ your audience even more about the novel (and its themes)?
Length: 5+ sentences